Monday, December 7, 2015

Pine Mountain 46 Miler

Pine Mountain definitely has a special place in my heart. When first starting to train for ultras, it is where I began doing some technical running. It even was the influence for my dog’s name, Ellie (FD Roosevelt State Part => FDR => Eleanor is FDR’s wife => Ellie for short) I still spend many a weekend training in this hidden gem of Middle Georgia.
This year, the Pine Mountain Trail race went back to the original distance of 46 miles. After coming back from my stress fracture, I was really looking forward to my first race since Bighorn this summer. I had no time goal or intentions of racing, I simply just wanted to be out there and enjoy it. 

This race always takes place the first Sunday in December, which happened to fall on December 6th this year. Camping Saturday night in the park seems to be tradition for the group of friends I run with. So Saturday I met Todd, his wife Jami, and daughter Mallory at the campground. Todd was running the 46 miler and Mallory would be running the 19 miler. We set up camp and then just hung out for the most part until we ate pizza at Fox’s Pizza (yet another tradition for this race). The camping and company of friends rivals the race itself. I thoroughly enjoyed every aspect of this weekend.
We woke up Sunday morning and made some coffee and ate a little something for breakfast before heading down to the group shelter for the start at 6:30. At the group shelter I found several other friends, including a good friend of mine Vince. I knew Vince had been training hard, so I was hoping we would be able to run together for a few miles before he darted off. 
Todd, Me, Chris, and Vince

After some good luck wishes from friends we were off! We started on the bridge above the group shelter to allow about a 200 yard stretch before we hit actually single track. I knew to make sure to be in the top 10ish when I got to the single track to keep from bottle necking. 2 guys took off ahead of everyone else and Vince, Sean, and I all fell into the line next. The first part of trail is nice, smooth and flat. This is very deceiving on what is to come for anyone who has never run the course. During that section, we dialed back a little and let several people pass who wanted to take off. The 3 of us kept a nice conversation as we ran through the dark. Once we emerged onto the PMT we took a right and headed up until we hit Chestnut trail. I really like this little loop. It drops down with some switchbacks then has a nice gradual climb all the way back up. Right here is where I learned that I was climbing a lot better than the people around me. The end of Chestnut trail pops out right by the ‘FDR State Park’ sign by the Country Store.

From there we crossed the road and jumped back onto the PMT. We would stay on this trail all the way to the TV Tower. The timing couldn’t have been more perfect. We were running the ridge and were able to catch the sunrise. We were definitely blessed with a beautiful day (even though I wouldn’t have minded if it were 10 degrees cooler). Soon we hoped back on the other side of the road and stated downhill. We soon passed everyone who we let by at the beginning of the race, and now there were 4 of us. Ben had joined our party (this is the mustache guy for anyone who doesn’t know who I’m talking about). Vince, Sean, and Ben were all going downhill faster than I was so I let them pass. I haven’t been pounding downhill much since returning from injury so I didn’t want to blow my quads out on the downs. I would catch them and pass them on the up hills, and then they would pass me again on the downs. That was pretty much the trend for the first 30 miles.

I should note that around mile 7, Sean took a very nasty spill and busted his head open. He also messed up his foot pretty bad. He fell back and never passed me again. I thought for sure he was going to drop because it looked nasty, but (SPOILER) he actually maintain his position with a solid 6th place. One tough guy for sure!!


One Tough Cat


















Once we got back down to the hatchery ponds, we started catching up to the 19 milers. They started 30 minutes after us but instead of turning right and going to the beginning of PMT they just made a left and hoped on there. I particularly liked being able to run and pass them. It allowed for seeing a lot more faces than I typically do during a race. It gave a great sense of comradery and everyone was having a good time. Before long I caught up to Mallory. It was such a great surprise to see friends on the trail. As I passed, I told her she was doing great and looking good. Coming up to Fox Den AS I caught up to Chris in a group of about 5 or 6 runners. I had been announcing myself prior to this anytime I passed anybody, but I wanted to sneak up on him and get a good laugh. I ran passed him, slapped him on this ass, and hollered good job as I did. As I ran out of the AS, I saw Jami and smiled for a picture as I ran by. I told her that Mallory was right behind me and gave her my arm warmers and headlamp.



The next stretch to Molly Hugger was pretty uneventful. Vince and Ben would pass me on the down hills and then I would pass them right back on the up. I typically maintained 3rd unless it was downhill. I ran into the AS and was greeted by Jami once again. I knew this was the last place I would see her until the finish because the 19milers would split off and take Sawtooth and head back towards the group shelter. I smiled for another picture as I ran by.

Jami caught me off guard in this one
The stretch from Molly Hugger to Dowdells Knob me and Ben played leap frog a little and Vince always stayed within sight of us from behind. I ran into Dowdells Knob where I was greeted by Vikena. She helped put on Double Top which was my 1st 100 miler. She was absolutely great during that race in making sure I had everything I needed or wanted so when I saw her here I was a nice surprise. I refilled my bottles and was off again!

Dowdells Knob to Rocky Point was only about 3 miles. It was fairly uneventful and I held 3rd the whole time. Once I got into Rocky Point I refilled my bottle and was off again. Soon, Ben came up behind me and passed me. I knew when he did this that he was making his move and didn’t want to be passed again. By the time I got down to the actual creek part, Vince came up behind me. He asked me how I felt and I told him I was feeling surprisingly good. He said he had bonked a little but he was good now. He asked how far Ben was ahead and I told him he had just gotten out of sight and he could easily catch him. I also told him that if he would save enough for the big long climb between Rocky Point and Dowdells Knob that it’d be a perfect place to make up time on him. He proceeded to pass me, but pretty soon I passed him back. I never saw him again until the finish.
 After leaving the TV Tower AS we took Beaver Pond trail back to Rocky Point. This is a very short section as it’s only about 2 miles. I got to Rocky Point and still felt pretty good! This is about mile 30. As I left the AS I saw Todd only a couple hundred yards later. I asked him what position I was in just to make sure I was right in my thinking. He told me I was in 4th and 2nd and 3rd were only about 5 minutes ahead of me. When he said that I decided then that I was going to go for it and try to race. If I blew up, then that’s fine but I had to give it a shot. I picked up the pace and started pushing a little bit on the downs while still trying to maintain my uphill pace.
I made it to Dowdells Knob where I was greeted by Perry (the RD of Double Top). He told me I was looking strong and that they 3rd was only about 5 minutes up. Dang! He was pushing hard too. I left and continued to push until Molly Hugger. It started to get really hot so when I got to there I asked them to pour a little water over my head and neck to help cool off. This time we took the Sawtooth trail instead of PMT.

I was off again thinking that I could make up time on the climbs on Sawtooth but DANG! I forgot how steep some of the climbs were on this section. They weren’t long but between the hills and the heat, it got me. I even felt like a bonk coming on so I popped another Gel and pushed forward. I started to feel better but I was still burning up. When I got to Fox Den AS I found out that he had put a little time on me. I poured a little more water over my head and neck and was off for the last 6 mile stretch. The cold water sparked me up and I felt good again.

Leaving, I knew I probably couldn’t catch 3rd but I kept pushing because I wanted to at least hold my 4th place finish. I maintained a pretty good pace considering the terrain. I crossed the road at Buzzards Roost and was finally able to open up my stride up a little more since there weren’t as many rocks. Man did it feel good to open instead of having to short step through all the technical parts. Soon I came to the crossing were I turned right onto the trail we came in on this morning. It was about 2 miles of nice smooth trail. I was able to really open up more here. I could just imagine Vince coming up behind me and passing me at the last minute. Soon I could see the group shelter and finish line. I came in being greeted by cheers from close friends. I crossed the finish line in 8:09 and had secured 4th pace. Mallory was right there at the finish to cheer me on. I shook Thomas’s hand as he congratulated me and then proceeded to give Mallory a big smelly hug!

Amazing People deserve Smelly Hugs



This race has got to be one of my favorites and this weekend was no exception. I couldn’t have asked for a better race or better group of people to make memories with! I also got the coolest hand turned coffee mug for placing within the Top 5.

1 comment: